Grumello Castle offers and incredible view, pride of the valley, on Sondrio and the valley bottom.
The name of the Castle, Grumello, is known to be derived from “grumo” which means lump, a rocky formation in the mountain town of Montagna where the castle stands. In reality the actual name is Castel Del Piro di Grumello from the Del Piro family, hailing from Lake Como who financed its construction between the end of 1200 and the early 1300.
Its elevated position and difficulty to reach allows easily survey the valley for incoming enemies thus remaining quite safe from attack.
Unfortunately, in the sixteenth century the Grigioni invaded Valtellina and ordered the destruction of this stronghold and the neighboring Mancapane Castle.
This is one of the few existing twin castles, consisting of two separate buildings surrounded by walls.
During the centuries it has accommodated the Bishop of Como, Benedetto degli Asinaghi, the Como noble Franchino Rusca and Azzone Visconti, Lord of Milan and patron of the arts from 1329 to 1339, to be passed on to Teobaldo De Capitani
The study of what remains of the buildings and artifacts recovered in it led to the conclusion that one of the two buildings to the west was used for residential use.
Notably we can assume this from the presence of a fireplace room but also of slits probably destined to a guardhouse.
Supposedly the building on the east side had a purely defensive function evidenced by the existence of a high watchtower.
The still ongoing archaeological excavations have shown the presence of a much larger original structure of the one that is currently visible.
The entire area was acquired by FAI, Italian Fund for the Environment in charge of safeguarding the cultural heritage of the Valtellina Alps from degradation and to promote knowledge through guided tours and events that adequately valorize the territory and its cultural heritage.
The Dosso del Grumello offers view on the gentle wooded slopes of Orobie Alps. To the east you can enjoy views of the imposing Adamello while the Rhaetic side is covered with terraces covered with winding rows of vineyards.